Remember last week when I confessed my obsession with ancient cite digs and hopeful wish of becoming an archeologist?
Well, thanks to Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and the Artifacts and Lies Blog Tour, I got another chance to step into some ancient mysteries and archeological digs. This time around, I headed to the Peruvian Andes and met Samantha Sutton, a pretty awesome 12 year old who has a knack for solving mysteries!
Author: Jordan Jacobs | Website
Genre: Adventure, mystery, Historical Fiction
Twelve year-old Samantha Sutton wants nothing more than to become an adventure seeking archeologist. So when she gets the opportunity to join her Uncle Jay for a summer excavation in the Peruvian Andes, she realizes her dreams might be coming true after all!
That is until her annoying older brother, Evan, has to come along. Then there’s the matter of getting stuck working with Adam, the Ph.D. student who doesn’t seem to have time for children’s games–or so he thinks about Samantha. But when a ghostly madman starts haunting the ruins and important artifacts go missing, it becomes Samantha’s job to solve the mystery before her Uncle Jay loses his job, the temples history disappears forever, and Samantha misses her only chance at chasing her dream!
5 reasons why this book is marvelous!
- It is a mystery that pulls readers in from the beginning, and slowly weaves it’s way into creepiness. I mean, El Loco, a crazy madman ghost? Who wouldn’t be scared and interested all at once?
- Samantha has enormous dreams–becoming a great archeologist and starting young! She is a wonderful heroine for young girls to model after because she’s determined, intelligent, and willing to fight for what she believes in!
- Ghostly ruins, cite digs, ancient artifacts, and history. All four make for an adventurous, fun read!
- The story is modeled after the author’s own experience as an archeologist so it is rich with history and detail. I really felt as if I was at the cite, digging right along side and solving mysteries with Samantha! If you want to know what it’s like to be an archeologist, check out Jordan Jacobs’ guest post!
- What excites me most is that the story leaves readers with a cliffhanger! But then we turn the page and realize there is going to be at least one more Samantha Sutton story. I cannot wait to see where she goes next!
6. And as an added bonus…. one really cool aspect of Samantha’s story is right before each chapter we get a glimpse into her field journal! Make sure to pay attention because she always gives up hints about what is going to happen!
Sourcebook Jabberwocky has offered to give away one copy of Samantha Sutton, so leave me a comment telling me what sort of history you would like to discover for your chance to win!
Giveaway runs through Friday, November 9th and I’ll announce the winner on Saturday!